Monday, October 10, 2011

Is a $35 Face Mask Really Better Than a $2 Face Mask?

Remember how the Boscia Luminizing Black Mask was all the rage last year? I actually bought it, used it once, and then it sat in my medicine cabinet. Since I finished up my Aura Science mask, I brought it out of hiding in order to do a little review and comparison for you.



This is a peel of face mask that is supposed to draw out dirt, oil, and other impurities and also brighten the skin. It would make for a great Halloween mask because it really is black and ugly:



I decided to compare this to the Bath and Body Works (B&BW) Fresh and Flawless Face Mask with Purifying Clay.



Many moons ago B&BW had a skin care line and they had really nice clay face masks so I was hoping this would be similar. This is also on clearance right now because it was part of the summer collection...one more incentive to try it out. This is a non-peel off mask that requires washing with water.



So what were my thoughts?

Boscia

  • $34 for 2.8 oz

  • Have to use a really thick layer in order for it to peel off (6-10 uses per tube depending on how thick you apply it)

  • REALLY HARD to peel off, ends up leaving lots of black spots you have to scrub using water

  • No noticeable difference in skin texture or luminosity

  • Since product has to be layered thickly, it takes a lot more than 20 minutes to dry


Bath and Body Works



  • $1.75 for 2 oz (it is actually $7 but on clearance right now for 75% off)

  • A thin layer is effective...will last MANY more than 10 uses

  • Very creamy in consistency....feels great on the skin

  • Smells delicious

  • Doesn't make skin feel stiff, while mask is on and after mask is washed off

  • Dries in about 10-15 minutes

  • Easy to wash off

  • Leaves skin super smooth, soft, and hydrated



Overall, I prefer the B&BW mask 100%! I really like the fragrance (even the hubby came close to me and said it smelled good, and that RARELY happens), it made my skin super soft, and most importantly it was easy to wash off. The Boscia mask was a nightmare to remove. No matter how thick it was, there were some areas that just wouldn't peel off. After peeling as much as I could, I had at least 7-8 black splotches on my face that I had to scrub harshly using water. That just made the whole experience extremely frustrating and irritated my skin. Any relaxation that I got from having the mask on was immediately gone because I had to spend a good 15 minutes getting all the black crap off. Now I remember why the Boscia mask was hidden away for the past few months.

12 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100% on Boscia. It is one of the worst skin care purchases I have made. I think for me, the tube lasted like 7 uses and I have a small face. Overall, I don't understand what the hype is about. I'd rather just make my own mask and trust me, I have had more difference with just applying yogurt and turmeric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to know there are others who didn't like the Boscia mask either. I will have to try yogurt and turmeric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Kajal Couture reveals whether the $35 Boscia Black Mask is better than a $2 face mask. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Kajal Couture reveals whether the $35 Boscia Black Mask is better than a $2 face mask. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] Kajal Couture reveals whether the $35 Boscia Black Mask is better than a $2 face mask. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] Kajal Couture reveals whether the $35 Boscia Black Mask is better than a $2 face mask. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to know how the Mint Julep mask compares to this! Though I must say the idea of a black face mask does still kind of thrill me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] Kajal Couture reveals whether the $35 Boscia Black Mask is better than a $2 face mask. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] Kajal Couture reveals whether the $35 Boscia Black Mask is better than a $2 face mask. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually think Mint Julep is better than the Boscia one. And you can't beat the price of Mint Julep!

    ReplyDelete
  11. [...] Kajal Couture reveals whether the $35 Boscia Black Mask is better than a $2 face mask. [...]

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails