Thursday, October 7, 2010

What's Your Level of Tint? Fun with Tinted Moisturizers

All through high school I used to wear Clinique's Almost Makeup. I thought it was the greatest invention in the world! It wasn't as thick as foundation but gave me the perfect amount of coverage! However, what I failed to realize back then was that the shade I wore was a bit too cool toned and pink for my olive skin. I'm not sure if Clinique has expanded their shade range or modified it since then, but overall I think their foundations lean more pink than yellow....and like Bobbi Brown, I believe more people lean yellow than pink (even if they do have patches of redness). 

I think tinted moisturizers are a great product for the consumer, but like foundation, it is hard to find a formula you like. Some provide foundation-like coverage...some are lacking the "tinted" part of the product...some are too oily....some are too pink-toned....what's a gal to do? So I decided to play around with a few popular tinted moisturizers and see how the coverage compares to each other. I made a thick black line using a gel eyeliner and applied the various products over the line, just to show you how the coverage differs:

So what do I think? Read on....

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer - This is the regular one, not the hydrating or oil free, and it is pretty good coverage. It is on the creamier side and you really have to blend it well over the skin. This product has SPF 20.

Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer - The coverage from this is waaaaay to sheer for me. It had very little color, and was very thin, and as you can see, as a blended the product, it picked up the blackness from the liner due to the liquidiness of the product. This also leaned on the pinker side of the spectrum. This product has SPF 15. 

Stila Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer - This is the right amount of sheerness I would expect from a tinted moisturizer. It provides light coverage and is definitely lighter than foundation. It is not too creamy or too liquidy. This product has SPF 30.

Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer - The coverage from this product verges on the edge of a light foundation. It is creamy and thick...which is because it is meant for dry skin. I actually like this coverage because sometimes I want more coverage than a TM but don't want to slather foundation on my skin. This product has SPF 15. 

Korres Ginger + Vitamins Foundation - Ok, so this is not a TM, but it is a very light coverage foundation and I thought I would add this to the mix just to see how it compares to the others. If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you already know I LOVE this product and can't live without it. Which reminds me my current tube is almost out....must...get...more....This product has SPF 10. 


I know it is a cult fave, but the Stila Sheer Color was way too sheer for me. I might as well walk out the door naked-faced. The others all provide a decent amount of coverage, and I would be happy with any of them. The Korres product does provide more coverage than the others, but then, it is considered a foundation. At the end of the day, a TM is as individual as a foundation and you should try out a couple and see what you like. Everyone has a different preference so play around with them and see what tickles your fancy. That being said, I think everyone should try the Korres Ginger+Vitamins.....=)

Do you use a TM? What's your favorite or what do you stray away from?

7 comments:

  1. My favorite TM for now is 100% Pure TM with Fruit Pigments, but I'm thinking about buying Korres TM next. Have you tried it? Was it any good? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to find a tinted moisturizer but have not had much luck. I tried Bobbi Brown and loved the coverage but found it to be too moisturizing for my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rocaille Where do you get 100% Pure? I will have to look for that! I haven't tried the Korres TM, but I tested it out in store and it was a bit thinner than the Ginger+Vitamins, and since I already loved G+V, I skipped the TM. But chances are the Korres one is good, since most of their products are pretty good.

    @Neena The Bobbi one is for dry skin, so I can imagine it is too moisturizing for those with oily skin. What is your fave TM?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!
    I use the stila one, and love it quite a lot. Its very sheer, I guess that's what I like about it. I dont like a lot of coverage, but i do want to try the Laura Mercier one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love laura mercier tinted moisturizer:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what shade did u get the stila oil free in? I wanna try it and I'm pretty much the same skin tone as u i think

    ReplyDelete
  7. i heart tarte's TM!! its amazing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails